My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, United States

My friends are doing it, so why not conform? I will not promise the sort of blog dedication I seem to be seeing from them, however, so don't expect much. Just a way for me to "fit in." No, strike that - a way for me to organize some thoughts. (There, that sounds better...)

Oh, by the way...I just wanted to state that the opinions expressed in these posts are my own. Not my family's, not my friend's, not my workplace's, and certainly not yours. (Well, I should clarify that by saying any similarity to the opinions of the people or groups detailed above is purely coincidental.) Do ya' get it? Don't come down on anyone else for the things I say! (Sheesh!)

20060915

Thanks For All the Hard Work

OK, I guess I can post this e-mail message I received yesterday here. Some of you have already seen this and heard me blather on extensively about it. But for those that haven't:

From:   Bureau Director, older than Methuselah 
Sent:  Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:22 PM
To:    Me
Cc:    Division Administrator; HR Big-Wig #1; HR Big-Wig #2
Subject:       FW: Missing Time Reports - Second Notice

This is not the first time that you have failed to submit your time reports according to the agency schedule.

You have demonstrated a chronic tardiness for adhering to this process as indicated most recently below in email messages from the time reporting staff: 

ME 01 I 08/05/2006
ME 01 I 08/19/2006
From Payroll Staff-Person (9/13):This is a reminder for you to submit your time report for the pay period ending 9/2 as soon as possible.  Thanks!

There have been numerous other incidents in preceding months.

 This is not acceptable and will not be tolerated in the future.  All other members of the bureau are able to comply with the time reporting process even though they are also very busy with other work.  The agency requires all time reports to be submitted on schedule in order to process payrolls accurately, and this same information is needed in a timely manner for analysis by management in work planning and assignments.

You are hereby directed to complete any/all missing time reports before the end of business today or risk disciplinary action.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

I should point out that a co-worker of mine got a similar letter, even after he'd already submitted his time sheet. I should also point out that we are in the midst of a number of major, critical tasks designed to radically change the way we do business. And that we are still doing the work we've done for years, (customer support and maintaining our network, server and desktop infrastructures, among other things), in addition to these major projects. And that we're doing all this with a skeleton crew, after our current government has seen fit to eliminate and/or shuffle around a large number of our staff.

Now, my objection to this isn't in the fact that he's asking me to get this done, (I know it's important and that it needs to be done), but in the way he's asking, (rather, commanding!) This guy has the people skills of a clump of soggy pocket lint! Did I ever get a "Hey, I know you're busy, (with "critical" priorities that I have been instrumental in giving you), but could you please take a half hour and get this taken care of? Payroll really needs it to complete their processing. Thanks." Aw, Hell no!

I explained to KingUnbeliever that I know that I have a problem assigning adequate priority to timesheets. Part of the problem is that I keep pretty extensive records of where my time goes so that when it comes time to fill out a time sheet, it can take me a little while. It's not like it used to be when I would just fill in "8's" across the board in a particular "default" activity code. KU suggested I could go back to doing it that way. Well, it didn't take a lot of arm-twisting for him to convince me. So now, what was:

has become:

Do you think they'll notice?

2 Comments:

Blogger Robguy said...

Today I got an email stating that I submitted my time sheet too early... can't win...

9/15/2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger KingUnbeliever said...

Just one more example of where management has drained the quality out of work.

Even if I suggested it.

9/15/2006 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

« Home