My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, United States

My friends are doing it, so why not conform? I will not promise the sort of blog dedication I seem to be seeing from them, however, so don't expect much. Just a way for me to "fit in." No, strike that - a way for me to organize some thoughts. (There, that sounds better...)

Oh, by the way...I just wanted to state that the opinions expressed in these posts are my own. Not my family's, not my friend's, not my workplace's, and certainly not yours. (Well, I should clarify that by saying any similarity to the opinions of the people or groups detailed above is purely coincidental.) Do ya' get it? Don't come down on anyone else for the things I say! (Sheesh!)

20060331

Check It Out

I went to Pizza Hut tonight for take-out. They've got that deal now where up to 5 pizzas after the first are all just $5.00. Anyway, my total came to about $24.00 or so, so I wrote out my check at home for the exact amount and was on my way. When I got there, some punk behind the counter sees me whip out my prepared check and tells me, "we don't accept checks."

I stopped short. "Uhhh...wha?!? What do you mean? I've cashed checks here before..."

"Well maybe a while ago," he says, "but not anymore."

"How long has that been in effect?" I asked.

"Well, I've been working here two and a half months," Joe Punk says (proudly), "and we've never accepted checks since I've been here."

Well, whoop-de-freakin'-do! (I just checked my records and found that I last wrote a check at Pizza Hut in November of 2005, so it hasn't been in effect very long.)

What the Hell is wrong with society today?!? Isn't the customer always right? That sure as Hell is what my management tells us at work, (even though they're wrong much of the time - management and our customers). Why must I, the customer, be inconvenienced?!? Why do they have to force me to use cash, or credit...or, alternatively, an electronic check verification system that seems fraught with problems, (see previous post)?

As it turned out, I had enough cash to cover my pizzas, but I wish I hadn't. Screw them for not letting people know they no longer take checks! It would've been their own freakin' fault if they had to keep the damn pizzas! I would have been blameless! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

And now for something(s) completely different...

Good luck to you, h.A.d. We'll all be thinking of you today at lunch. We'll look into the cameras, smile, and raise our glasses in a toast to you. That sappy crap'll bring in the ratings for sure! "It's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

And a shout out to mjl, off somewhere exotic on her vacation. Hope you're having a great time, (I'm sure the time has just flown), and that your return trip brings you back to the states safely.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of places stopped taking checks at the beginning of the year. I guess they passed some new regulations that protect the banks and make it harder for the company to collect on bad checks.

3/31/2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger KingUnbeliever said...

Yeah and stores have stopped carrying BETA Max tapes and LP records. Damn them!

And when are they bringing back hitching posts for my horse?

Next they will want to take away my rotery phone!

3/31/2006 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

« Home